After damning evidence being heard in Corowa Local Court last week over an assault during the Christmas New Year period, Richmond AFL player will now learn his fate on April 22 in Albury Local Court.
Richmond AFL star Noah Balta faces potential jail time for a shocking assault on Mulwala local Thomas Washbrook.
Hold tight - we’re checking permissions before loading more content
The assault took place outside Mulwala Water Ski Club on December 30, 2024 at about 12.30am.
Balta appeared in Corowa Local Court last Thursday. The 25-year-old pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual body harm.
Disturbing video evidence of the incident was revealed at Corowa Court last Thursday.
Disturbing video evidence reveals the Tigers premiership defender sprinting from the ski club to ambush an unsuspecting Washbrook from behind.
The court heard that Balta violently shoved the victim, launching him into the air in an unprovoked assault that could have been fatal if Washbrook's head had struck the concrete.
The offender punched the victim several times to the head, causing injuries, when he was pushed to the ground.
Paramedics treated the 27-year-old before he was taken to Yarrawonga Hospital. Balta handed himself in to police at Mulwala on December 31 and was charged.
Washbrook suffered rib injuries, facial lacerations, abrasions, bruising and concussion.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Jason Tozer said the video footage spoke for itself. “This is an attack on a man who had his back turned,” he said.
“It’s good luck than good management that his head didn’t make contact with the concrete.”
Balta had “a completely misguided and inappropriate reaction to a set of circumstances” according to defence lawyer Belinda Franjic.
But police consider the threshold for a prison term has been crossed. Balta will learn his fate on April 22 in Albury Local Court.
Balta was suspended by Richmond for four matches in the aftermath of his arrest, as well as missing two preseason matches but will remain eligible for rounds five and six of the AFL season as he awaits sentencing.
The key defender, who can play up forward, signed a long-term deal in the off-season to keep him at Punt Rd until 2032. Balta has played more than 100 games for the Tigers since debuting in 2019.
A settlement by the assault victim was reached last Friday with Balta. The confidential settlement was reached after Balta was sued for pain and suffering as well as medical expenses.
Balta’s remorse and guilty plea is understood to have played a part in his victim’s willingness to settle the suit.